Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Your words a joy and delight

Jeremiah 15:16
"Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts."

I recall as a young man traveling to a neighboring city to take an "in depth" course on a book of the Bible. I do not recall which book it was, but I remember experiencing a strong sense of frustration that I had not been exposed to that depth of instruction in weekly sermons.

Years later (too many years!) I sat in the front row of our new church, literally weeping with joy to be blessed in a "through the Bible" fellowship that offered a steady diet of "meat" rather than "baby's milk."

Are many churches guilty of offering a watered down gospel, delivered in bite size portions to a body of believers eager to move on from "church" to the adventures of the day? Certainly. But am I to be "absolved" of personal responsibility if I choose to make such a place my church home? Absolutely not.

I was reminded in mid-week Bible study this week of Jeremiah 15, which compares the Scriptures to a delightful meal. Who among us does not take every opportunity for a delicious snack or meal? Yet another verse compares God's Word to sweet honey.

"To develop an appetite for the Word, eat it!" our pastor suggested. "Chew on it, enjoy it, and you will develop a craving for more." The snack will turn into a banquet.

I encourage you to join me in praying for increased desire and opportunity to reap the rewards of God's precious word. From milk ... to meat ... to honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment