Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Beware the comfortable nest

This may be a bit of a stretch, but a recent study that referenced the apostle Paul's "thorn in the flesh" reminded me of a story I once heard about immature eagles.

Purportedly, many baby eagles are more inclined to remain in the familiar comfort of the nest than they are to venture out on the first flight. Accordingly, the parent eagle begins at some point to disassemble the "cushy" elements of the interior of the nest, removing such things as fur and feathers that made the nest comfortable. At some point (no pun intended), the sticks and branches making up the nest begin to poke at the immature eagle, making life there downright uncomfortable.

This is where I was reminded that my repeated tendency in my walk with Christ is to "nest," putting my desire to be comfortable ahead of the course of action the LORD would draw me into. Even a brief reflection on my walk with Jesus reminds me that He has always been faithful when I submit my will to His.

As a dear brother continually urges in prayer with me and others: "Ask the LORD, 'What are you doing here? What is Your part for me in this plan, and how can I most quickly align myself with it?'"

I recognize that some young eagles eagerly test their wings and move into the adventures of life outside the nest. I fear, however, that regardless of our age, most of us need to be poked and prodded to "take flight" in a spiritual sense.

May I (we) be always aware of the temptation to "nest." May I (we) resist in Jesus' name, experiencing the exhilaration of flight -- with the Father providing "the wind beneath our wings."


1 comment:

  1. Nice analogy. I too get familiar with the comfortable. Allowing God to push me outside the nest seems frightening...until I recall His steadfast love and good purpose for bringing glory to Himself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete