Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

God never intended for us to go solo


What a wonderful morning!

At 5:30 a.m. I wrestled against the prospect of leaving my warm bed for “verticality” and the drive downtown. My motivation prevailed.

That motivation was the prospect of spending time with brothers in Christ who have committed to a weekly gathering at a local fast food joint. Whether there are two of us or more, there are always rewards for the time spent, and today was no exception.

I found myself alone for the first 10 minutes, so I spent it with a morning reading by Charles Spurgeon. Not coincidentally, the subject of his devotional was fellowship.

“Christians who isolate themselves and walk alone are very liable to grow drowsy,” he wrote. “Hold Christian company and you will be kept wakeful by it, and refreshed and encouraged …”

Fifteen minutes past our prescribed start time, I was ready to leave. Then came one brother, then another, and finally a third. Fellowship!

In each case, I had a few one-on-one minutes with my brothers. Each is a father, and each wrestles daily with the challenges of work. As the old guy in the group, my goal is to be a source of encouragement, sharing some of my life story and reassuring them with a truth that they already know in their hearts: God is faithful. Jesus Christ will never leave or forsake you. The Holy Spirit will teach, comfort and heal.

As I shared with one of my younger brothers, God does not always provide the “high beams” view we would like as we walk out this life with Him. We can be assured, however, that He will always accompany us on the path walked in His will. There will always be enough light to take the next step.

Independence may seem like a “manly” attribute, but God never intended for us to face life’s challenges alone. This morning I give thanks for the gift of friendship, a priceless gift from a loving Father Whose desire from the beginning has been relationship.

“Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” Genesis 2:7
“Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God Who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love Him and keep His commandments, to a thousand generations.” Deuteronomy 7:9
“But if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” 1 John 1:7
“But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.” 1 Corinthians 14:3

No comments:

Post a Comment