Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Rejoice in suffering!?


In addition to the considerable challenges of being a home school mother/teacher, my daughter Kirsten has grappled in recent months with nagging health issues. Like many mothers, she "keeps the wheels turning" in spite of those challenges, functioning each day as wife, mother, daughter, sister in Christ.

There are times, she notes, when poor health inclines her to ask the Father: "What do you need me to learn through this situation?" A recent note, however, demonstrates in part how the situation has drawn her closer to Jesus. As always, key elements of coping are prayer and time spent in the word, where she is reminded of God's unchanging character, His promises to His children. She wrote:

Things may be hard, but that means we have an opportunity to lean in to The Lord to be our strength. I just don't want to give my flesh any opportunity to hurt my relationship with our Jesus. He is Lord and King of ALL situations. He's not looking to make us comfortable, but to completely change our lives through every situation.

The question is, "Will I let Him?" I shout an emphatic, "Yes!"

God keeps showing me that I need to have an attitude of gratitude. As I read through Leviticus it humbles my heart to see how often God's people grumbled. That didn't just hurt God -- it angered Him. This behavior of flesh is not fitting for His beloved. Instead I am to continue to have a heart of trust, praise and Thanksgiving.

I may have a sick body, but I do not want a habitual sin-sick soul that permeates to the core of my being. No, Christ is my life and in Him I find joy. I know I don't always get it right, but I do know He directs me to steer me aright.

If I can't be faithful in the small things, then I won't be entrusted with the bigger things. I know these things are to test us to see "how we will respond" to see what's really in our hearts. I want Jesus to find surrender of self in me, not selfishness of habitual sin.

I view everything I face as an opportunity to let Jesus overcome my weakness, as opposed to engaging in a "fight" or even a struggle. I know that the way to stand firm or find victory in everything is continued dependence on Christ even when I don't fully understand the "why" of my circumstances. I guess I don't need the "why," because Christ is always The Answer.

It is difficult for me, blessed with a life of few health challenges, to imagine the relentless "distraction" of poor health, chronic pain, even terminal illness. Yet I know many Christian brothers and sisters who have -- who continue to rejoice in the midst of their physical struggles. Like my daughter, these fellow believers have demonstrated strength in Him. They are powerful witnesses to me and to others, an encouragement to be trusting and to subsequently experience the joy of relationship with the Father regardless of circumstances.

"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God." Psalm 42:11

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39



1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to read this as I needed to be reminded of these truths! Thank you for sharing! We love your family so much!!

    ReplyDelete