Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Friday, April 3, 2020

Mountaintop or valley

I shouldn't have been surprised.

A few days ago, as shelter-at-home directives became more common across a nation suffering the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, I had a chance to visit with a brother in Christ who moved away a few years back.

In the course of our telephone conversation I made the observation that we cannot live each day on the mountaintop, that we spend most of our days in the valley.

His answer was immediate: "I disagree."

Rather than being defensive, I waited eagerly to hear what came next. I was not disappointed.

I could "see" my dear brother's face as his voice changed in excitement:

"I'm on top of the mountain," he said. "I am in God's hands. My soul is safe. That's all that matters -- we are gold in God's eyes! I love it. It's just fantastic!"

Because I know he always speaks to me from a heart of love, I embraced this "mountaintop message" immediately. My brother knows the word, he knows Jesus as Lord of his life -- and he is happy to share the joy of that relationship with everyone, saved or pre-saved.

"The only time we are in the valley," he said, "is when we take our eyes off Jesus. It is then that we must take our eyes off of ourselves -- and look back on God."

This is not a man whose life has been free of struggle and heartache. Quite the contrary. But he is a man who truly demonstrates the daily life of a once despondent, hopeless creature who was "born again" in Christ. He is living this life joyfully, serving in love, with eager anticipation of the indescribable joys of eternal life in Heaven.

Thank you, Lord, for my dear brother in Christ. Thank you for the reminder that "God's got us, and relationship with Him gives us the gift of a never-ending joy."

"... and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory." 1 Peter 1:8

(Note: I found this pilothouse instrument photo in my archives, thought immediately that even as we "hunker down," we should seek ways to represent Christ from home: "All Ahead Full!" We do not reach the tape in this race until we physically die, or Christ returns for His church.)










No comments:

Post a Comment