Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An encouraging word

Several times over the course of the last week God has impressed upon me (again) the importance of speaking and writing words of encouragement. This morning I was blessed by words of encouragement from a brother whose name was not listed in my daily planner. We were blessed with what is often called "a divine appointment."

I was also prompted today to open the pages of the Rev. Billy Graham's "The Faithful Christian." This anthology is full of encouraging entries, but the one that popped out was titled: "Walking and Talking with God."

Graham wrote: "In the beginning, God and man were friends. They walked together and talked together. They made great plans as to how this planet was to be populated and developed. The planet earth was to show God's glory to the entire universe. It was to be the center of God's activities in His partnership with man. It is quite evident that God desired the fellowship of a creature like man. Thus man was created to a high and exalted purpose, a high and exalted destiny."

God created us in His own image; He gave us the gift of choice. Adam and Eve "fell," and as a result we are conceived in sin, born into a fallen world. But God, in His perfect plan, provided His Son, the Sacrificial Lamb, whose choice to bear our sin makes in possible for us to be washed clean so we might live eternally with our pure and holy Father.

Despite the fact that this world is impure, populated by sinful creatures, we can lay claim to God's grace, offered to all through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. I recall the words of the familiar hymn of my childhood (see May 31 blog entry re: "In the Garden"): "He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own..."

I recall the words of Jesus as recorded by John in the book of Revelation, the only book of the Bible that opens with a promise to bless those who read it ... "and heed the things which are written in it..." Jesus says: "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades." He says as recorded in Revelation 22:7: "...I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book." And in verse 12: "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done."

When we surrender ourselves and proclaim Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we can forget what we deserve, and instead claim the promise of life eternal with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This gift is ours not because we "earn" or "qualify" for it, but simply because God, our Creator, loves us. "For it is by grace we are saved, through faith, and this not from ourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works..." These, indeed, are words of encouragement.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
Hebrews 10:24-25
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

A couple of days have passed since this entry, but today I received a copy of "Prayer Point," a publication of Samaritan's Purse. One of the articles was about Sourn Povmouy of Cambodia. The article read in part:

"In 2006 I had a blood test and the doctor found out I was HIV positive (Sourn being quoted). I was shocked and a sad feeling of hopelessness came over me."

Enter Pastor Lim Sovongs, a pastor from Sourn's province. He began to make home visits to Sourn, "...teaching her about the disease and providing physical and spiritual care. She learned that Jesus still loves her and hasn't abandoned her."

Pastor Lim attended HIV/AIDS training conducted by Samaritan's Purse. Sourn and some of her neighbors were provided medical care and education about the disease.

Today, says Lourn, "My heart is warmed because of the pastor's visits and especially because of his words of encouragement. Somebody cares and is concerned about me and my family. I thank the Lord Jesus and pray that He may continue to bless and care for my family."

Christ, living in and through us, offers His unconditional love. Say "yes" to His calls on your life to speak/act in His name. Speak words of encouragement. Act in encouraging ways. Love your neighbor as yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment