Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Sunday, May 3, 2020

There is no hiding from God


The argument can be made that these words stand among the most tragic recorded in the Bible: “…and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord.”


In the opening chapters of Genesis we see the wonder of God’s creation, including man and woman, with whom He desires a unique relationship. We learn that God Himself walks and talks with Adam and Eve in the garden. Intimacy.


Then, in Chapter 3, we are introduced to Satan, the creature cast from Heaven for his rebellion. As the devious serpent (“more crafty than any beast of the field”), Satan sets the trap for the decision that will forever change this perfect creation into the fallen world where we live today.


Satan plants a seed of doubt regarding God’s directive that Adam and Eve can enjoy all that He has created, with the exception of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.


You know the story: Eve listens to Satan’s perversion of God’s words, succumbs to the lies and eats the fruit of the forbidden tree. She is joined immediately by Adam, who puts up no defense for his wife or himself.


With just two bites, this perfect world is corrupted. Adam and Eve now experience fear for the very first time … and in their fear and shame, they seek to hide from their Creator.


When God sees their sin, He calls out: “Where are you?” Of course we know God did not need to hear Adam’s voice in order to locate him. The picture of two people scurrying about trying to conceal themselves from their Creator would be comical … if it was not so tragic.


Now fast forward to the present: not to the hide-and-seek of a children’s game, but to a world where our “natural” inclination is still to depart from God’s path and then “hide among the trees of the garden.”


Even as many rail against the truth that all people are born into sin, anyone who observes infants and children recognizes that the “natural” focus is on self. If that baby could talk, he or she would say, “I know what I want, and I want it now!” The child would exclaim to parent: “You’re not the boss of me!”


Tragically, our propensity to prioritize our personal interests over the will of God continues throughout our lives on this earth. The unbeliever can claim he or she “is not aware” of God’s will. He or she can charge: “I don’t believe, and it is my will that trumps all.” We know their defense is hollow, and we pray always that their hearts would be changed by the gospel message.


But what of us who call ourselves Christ followers -- those who fully understand our sinful nature and have subsequently surrendered our hearts to Jesus our Redeemer? Do we not still stumble, and having stumbled, seek to hide from God?


As I seek to apply the lessons of this story to my life, I consider scenarios such as these:

* The hurried push of the remote button or click of the mouse when I am at risk of being “discovered” in time spent with video, film or text that is clearly at odds with God’s better plan for me

The pitiful, prideful excuses I offer for hurts I have inflicted on others, hiding behind accusations such as “You’re too sensitive!” or “How was I to know?"

* The instances when I choose to “hide” my faith in Jesus, as Peter did, because I am afraid of the negative response of those in my presence at the moment

* The temptation to “hide” my talents or treasures from others, lest I be asked to share

* The way I “hide in the lies” that keep me from spending more time in the Bible: I’m too busy; it’s too complicated. And the always-popular: I’ll leave that to the pastors and teachers who God has called, and they can tell me what I need to know

* The defensive response to avoiding personal responsibility, hiding behind others: “I’m just acting the way others act,” or “Nobody ever told me.”

* The ludicrous sense that God does not know what I am thinking, let alone saying or doing. That He does not know the state of my heart at every instant


It is important to note at this point that God’s love for us is so great that He gave His only Son in order that sin and death would be defeated at the cross. Christ’s blood was the only sacrifice that could wipe the slate clean for the sinner. And the Lamb of God hides from no one.


God is the Father who loves us, not a finger-stabbing judge who seeks to have us live a life of guilt and shame. Still, He is both loving and righteous. It is ONLY through Jesus that we can claim the just Father’s promises as His children. It is only by His supernatural power we can seek, understand and have the ability/strength to do the Father’s will in this life.


Father, strengthen me. Give me discernment and the heart of a bondservant as I determine to walk with You … knowing that I can come to You always. I cannot hide, I should never entertain that lie. Whisper again and again to me, Lord: “I know you. You are precious to me, and in Christ, we will walk together always.”


“And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.” Genesis 3:8


“O God, it is You who knows my folly, and my wrongs are not hidden from You.” Psalm 69:5

“My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.” Psalm 139:15


“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12


“This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.” 1 John 4:7-9

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Steve. With His righteous love, He “turns graves into gardens..turns bones into armies...makes seas into highways. He’s the only one who can.” (Elevation Worship) Why would we want to hide from that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. If our desire is to hide from Him, we do not know Him, or have forgotten Who He is.

    ReplyDelete