Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Friday, March 5, 2021

Charles Spurgeon to "Nobodies"

 

A devotional from Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892)

“I cannot believe that salvation is meant for me,” someone says. “I am a nobody.”

A nobody, are you? I have a great love for nobodies. I am tired of somebodies, and the worst somebody in the world is my own somebody. How I wish I could always throw my own somebody out and keep company with none but nobodies!

Nobody, where are you? You are the very person that I am sent to look after. If there is nothing in you, there will be all the more of Christ. If you are not only empty, but cracked and broken; if you are done for, destroyed, ruined, and utterly crushed; to you is this word of salvation sent: ‘Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

I have opened the gate wide. If the entrance led to the wrong track, all the sheep would go through. But since it is the right road, I can leave the gate open as long as I wish, yet the sheep will evade it unless You, the Great Shepherd, go around the field and lead them in. Take up in Your own arms a lost lamb whom You purchased long ago with Your dear heart’s blood. Take him up upon Your gracious shoulders, rejoicing as You do it, and place him within the field where the good pasture grows.

Thank you, Lord, for Your patience in those times when we take our eyes off Jesus, intent on satisfying the desires of the person we see in the mirror. Thank you for spiritual eyes to see our sin, our hopelessness without Jesus. And thank you for the love and compassion for others that you plant in our hearts as we surrender to Your will.

"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because 'God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble'." 1 Peter 5:5

No comments:

Post a Comment