Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Faith and forgiveness

All who study the life of Jesus are familiar with the incredible first words he spoke from the cross:
"Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

As believers, we know that when we surrender our lives to Him, we are "crucified with Christ" ... and Christ lives in us (Galatians 2:20). We are called to model our lives after His, including the expression of forgiveness.

Even so, I found it striking this week to read the following story about a sister in Christ who has chosen to forgive in the wake of tragedy:

By RAY LANE, SEATTLE PI ONLINE, AND KOMO STAFF

PUYALLUP -- Family and friends of the victim who was killed in a home invasion robbery expressed relief Tuesday (May 4, 2010) that three of four suspects have been captured. Two of the suspects were captured in California over the weekend, and a third surrendered to police on Tuesday.

Jim Sanders was shot to death at his home after letting in a group of people who said they were considering purchasing a diamond ring he had listed on the Craigslist website. Tuesday, Sanders' widow called her husband a hero for protecting them.

"I had a gun to the back of my head, with a countdown... three, two... and I was screaming and my kids were standing there," said Charlene Sanders. "I said, 'Please, God, don't let them kill me in front of my kids, don't let them kill me in front of my kids'."

After that night of horror, Charlene Sanders says she's blessed that she and her two sons are still alive. She says her husband, Jim, was killed defending his family in their home.

"They took the love of my life, my future," Charlene Sanders said. "They ripped my home apart."

But with the capture of three of the suspects, she says there's a new layer of comfort. She's deeply religious, and so was her husband. Now, in the wake of unimaginable tragedy, she relies on her faith more than ever.

"If I want to be forgiven, I have to forgive," she said. "That's a tough one. But that's where I have to look to, eternity."

Charlene hopes something good will happen in the wake of her family's turmoil.

"I have to believe I can turn this into victory," she said. "And if people can come to Christ from this, it was worth it. It was worth my husband's sacrifice."

I thank you, Father, for saving the lives of Charlene Sanders and her children. I pray, Holy Spirit, that you will comfort and heal the family of Jim Sanders, victim of hatred and greed. I give thanks for the gift of faith that inspires his widow to choose forgiveness over the alternative expressions that come so quickly to mind. I ask your blessing on Charlene, her children and extended family as they walk out their faith in the wake of this crime. May she see the victory she desires to see, even as the family and followers of Jesus Christ saw the eternal victory accomplished in His death and resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment