Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Modern martyr


Just over a week ago, the sole Christian member of the Pakistani cabinet literally gave his life for Jesus Christ. Shahbaz Bhatti, 42, was assassinated by Muslim extremists outside his mother's home. Pamphlets by al-Qaeda and a branch of the Taliban were found at the scene, claiming that anyone who blasphemes Muhammad must die. Bhatti's declaration that Christ is the son of God apparently sealed his fate with members of the Taliban branch active in Pakistan. Christian martyrdom is not a thing of the past. Each day, attacks occur against Christians around the world.

When a brother prayed a prayer of thanks the other morning at a Bible study, I recall the realization that the American freedom to worship ... and witness to others ... is a precious gift. I give thanks for the knowledge that God, who desires relationship with all, welcomes all believers who pass from this life into life eternal with Him. I give thanks for the powerful witness of courageous believers like Mr. Bhatti ... now called to heaven ... and for the fact that the Father provides comfort and hope to the loved ones of those who are martyred in His name.

Philippians 3:12-14a
"I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize ... I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead. I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven."
Philippians 1:21
"For to me, to live is Christ, to die is gain."

No comments:

Post a Comment