Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fruit of the Spirit

Twice in the past week I was led to Galatians 5:22-23, so now I will commit to memory the often-quoted verse that serves in part to reflect God's character:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control; against such things there is no law."
The second time I heard the verse this week was in a fathers' group setting, where all of us agreed with sadness that response to our children -- their words and actions -- is too often a reflection of our flesh rather than the Holy Spirit living in us.
First on the Galatians 5:22 list is "love," from which all other evidence of the Spirit follows. Recognition of God's love for us, of Jesus Christ's redeeming love as made evident on the cross, leads to the joy only another Christian can fully understand.
If we insist on our "independence," refusing to surrender our will to Christ as part of God's perfect plan, our "branch" will ultimately die.
If, on the other hand, we recognize God as our Creator and Christ as our Redeemer King, we will be "grafted" into life eternal (John 15:4: "...As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.") We will, by the power of the Holy Spirit, bring forth fruit that others see manifested as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control. (Matthew 7:16: "You will know them by their fruit.")
I give thanks, Father, for the appealing, delicious fruit you bear through us when we surrender ALL to you. I know that my flesh brings forth poisonous fruit. The old nature cannot produce the fruit of the Spirit. But I pray I will recognize my lapses immediately and repent of them, and I thank you for the promise that regardless of my failures, you love me and grant me opportunity to grow in maturity as your beloved child.

No comments:

Post a Comment