Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grace abounds all the more

I had the opportunity recently to visit with my uncle, a retired pastor. When I asked him what book he most enjoyed preaching from, he responded: "Book? I didn't teach from a book..." Immediately, I knew he had misunderstood my question. He thought I was asking about a "how to preach" or "here's what to preach" kind of book, as opposed to THE BOOK. I clarified: "I mean what book of the Bible. Do you have a favorite book of the Bible?"
"Oh," he responded, his face reflecting relief. Then our conversation turned for a few minutes before he came back to my question with a gem of the New Testament:
"Romans 5:20," he said. Ah, yes. Here Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write:
"The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
The footnotes in my Bible say: "...the law was added, not to bring about redemption but to point up the need for it. The law made sin even more sinful by revealing what sin is, in stark contrast to God's holiness."
Cynical unbelievers must be reminded by Christians that we do not claim to be sinless (even though we sometimes slip into a posture of piety), but we ARE forgiven. We are all selfish prodigals, but the Father comes running with outstretched arms when we turn to Him. He "prepares a banquet table before us, in the presence of our enemies; He anoints our head with oil (Psalm 23)."
Thank you, Lord, for your saving grace; your undeserved gift to all who choose to accept it!

No comments:

Post a Comment