Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Job: righteous man, and prophet!

I was struck this week during our study of the Book of Job to see the line: "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth (Job 19:25)."
I grew up with hymnals that included Baptist Pastor Samuel Medley's song about the Redeemer (written in 1775), but I did not associate this statement of faith with Job, just possibly the oldest book in the Bible.
With this statement, Job "the blameless and upright" (Job 1:1) became a prophet. In the wake of the loss of family, possessions and health, Job is assaulted by "friends" who insist his situation is proof that he is being punished for sins he will not admit. Job is not passive about his situation. He has very real questions for God, but as emphasized by our pastor, this righteous man talks WITH God about what is on his heart (e.g. Job 16:12), as opposed to his religious friends who talk (and talk, and talk) ABOUT God. It is in the midst of his physical anguish and an unrelenting attack from his friends that Job makes his amazing statement.
"Now," wrote J. Vernon McGee in his Bible commentary, "Job will express his great faith. His friends have been attempting to break him down, which is actually the Devil's subtle attempt. However, Job has not hit rock bottom yet. These friends have not broken him down completely. He has a living, real faith in God, and here he utters one of the great statements in the Bible. It is not only that the statement is great, but it is great because the man who said it is a sick man who is ready to expire."
Job 19:25-27: "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see Him with my own eyes - I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"
McGee continues regarding this statement: "He (Job) was speaking of the death that would get him away from his troubles. I think that is obvious. He knew he would be raised again. He knew that in his flesh he would see God. He believed in the resurrection of the dead. Friends, these bodies of ours are going to return to the dust. The bodies of the dead in Christ will be put to sleep, but the spirit will go to be with Christ immediately. How wonderful this is!"
Wonderful, yes! I recall reading recently that God did not roll away the stone so Jesus could walk out of the tomb. He rolled it away so we could see that the tomb was empty! He lives, and He will return, according to God's perfect plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment