Welcome

This is a website dedicated to Jesus Christ.
It will be "a work in progress," reflecting the Lord's
inspiration.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Spirit inspired words

I was drawn this morning to a small, hardbound book I discovered several years ago when a church was "downsizing" its collection. It is titled "Favorite Hymns," and was published in 1917. In a manner that American radio personality Paul Harvey would later make famous, author William Lee Hunton was inspired to tell "the rest of the story" behind the writing of some of the most beloved Christian hymns.
Among the stories in his collection was that of Augustus M. Toplady, composer of "Rock of Ages." This song, we are told, was written in early morning hours following a heated theological debate between Toplady and another hymn writer, Charles Wesley. Hunton wrote:
"When they separated Toplady was wrought up to a high state of spiritual excitement. Not being able to sleep, he sat and thought. In a moment of exultation the words of the hymn began to run through his mind. He took a piece of paper and began to write."
As a Christian, I believe that the Bible was written by men, as inspired by the Holy Spirit. Throughout history, God has used people (both believers and unbelievers) as "instruments" to glorify Himself. I believe the following words, "written by" Toplady, represent yet another example of timeless words delivered by God through a blessed scribe:
Rock of Ages
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!
Let the water and the blood,
From thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the perfect cure,
Save me, Lord, and make me pure.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands:
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone!
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the Fountain fly;
Wash me, Saviour, or I die!
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When my eyelids close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!
Author Hunton wrote of this hymn, "When we understand that Christ is our Rock; that the rock suggests strength, solidity, power, majesty, permanency, then we find the secret of the universal hold which this hymn has on the minds and hearts of Christian people."
How true that is.
Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge."
Isaiah 26:4: "Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal."

No comments:

Post a Comment